interesting time on using public transport , Bombay

Today after a long time I used public transport and boy was it fun! I had to go to Churchgate and since I was to reach by 5 pm and was getting late, I ventured to use the public transport. Initially to station, I used a rickshaw and on reaching Andheri station, I stood in a queue (not very long), got my ticket and hopped into a fast train. I was almost feeling like this is something new (like someone using train for first time almost:)) and wonder of wonders got a seat at Bandra - of course today being Saturday and the reverse direction, i could comfortably sit down. The crowd seemed the usual set of some Gujjus playing cards, a father daughter sitting together wanting to get down at Dadar; the only major difference was the ubiquitous mobile handset with many people; of course unlike the hoity toity, these people didnt pretend to get calls! As is usual, there are these usual hawkers in the train; what was unusual this time was this time there was a reasonably sophisticated gentlemen who was explaining about an unusual pen (Rs 20) which could write of course and could detect through ultra violet rays; so it could apparently detect dud notes. He promptly got a customer, sold and went off. Quite enterprising! The train reached Churchgate in time. Boy was the station clean; hardly any litter. I got down and saw the usual large crowd (of course much lower than other days- remember i had reached at 5) returning home. There was a long queue at, you will never guess it, at a small coffee shop (freshly brewed coffee) in the station of course. Anyhow i passed the shop, went down the subway (crowded with lots of shops selling eatables, photoshop, etc.). I finished my work and went had chickoo milkshake (after a long time) at Kandeel (Fort). It was nice, sweet and cool. I returned to Churchgate and bought a ticket (i had not bought return ticker to keep my return open) and got to platform where the train leaving for Andheri left exactly at the time mentioned on the indicator! (unlike our airlines) The indicators are nice, clear and clean and also indicates whether it is a 9 or 12 coach train. Unlike buses and more of that later, there was very limited advertising on the outside of the train. don't know if there are less marketing people in the train or as a policy, they don't want to advertise.

I got into an andheri train (quite empty, got a window seat); there were some couples and a family in the train- not sure if this usual and of course the usual card playing people. I was glad I got into the train for at Grant Road I saw this huge traffic jam and i would have probably taken an hour more at least. There was just one hawker selling chips who got down soon. The train reached Andheri and the station was so crowded! took about 2 minutes for me to go outside; I then continued the public transport way and got into a bus; quite empty. The bus was well advertised- even the strap that standees need to hold had some advertising message! The bus started after some time and at the next stop (hardly a stop - it was a signal), a couple got in - sat separately in two seats - the girl had tied her hair in an interesting way; she had thick black hair and it nicely was parked on the back of her seat; quite quaint. After one stop, two kids got in - i got reminded of the time that kamala, chander and i used to travel by bus. These kids seemed quite confident and got off after 3 stops. Shortly, i reached near mhada and got off and went home! very enjoyable ride!! must do this more often :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

on Corruption