walking on roads of lokhandwala and other things

Today I though i would do a bit of walk (about 40 minutes) after the long run of yesterday - I participated in Ultra marathon (which i will mention some other time). For a change the walk was without any intention except having to reach home in about 40 minutes and even that wasnt strictly sacrosanct. So i took this road from home to lokhandwala jogging track by the short cut ( the longer one is by the main road which has high traffic- not a good idea to walk). So I walk on this road peacefully.. no, one guy has to walk by and hit me (and forgetting about apologising, he didnt realise he hit me) and walked to his destination. I think we have become completely inured (indifferent is equally true but inured is better as it is linked to violence) to people, things, etc. that we don't realise that we a violating the world, the people and things in it or even ourself. The good part immediately followed unexpectedly; a BEST gently stopped behind me without even a single horn; amazing :). I then noticed (guess it was hovering all the time) that the road was half crowded by the parked cars (more of this later) ; and for good measure there was no place for human to walk - to add insult to injury you could see signs all over the place by so called association that no outsiders could park - i mean they expect anyone to park in the middle of the road (except themselves)? The road was a bit noisy with the traffic going but otherwise it was okay- as much as is possible in Bombay till I reached jogging track where it was quite peaceful. I returned the same way.
I thought about this parked cars and realised it is a universal phenomenon in Bombay - I mean half the roads are blocked either with private cars or school buses or trucks or taxi stand. The other day i went to Fort for a meeting and it took me about 20 minutes to get to a parking stand which i finally found about 10 minutes walk away. So with this kind of hijacking of public roads by vehicle, aren't such people or municipality saving and subjecting the nation to a higher level of pollution, higher level of time, higher level of traffic? so that they could save on parking cost? Is this fair? and days may not go by before all of us through creeping method even take it for granted that public roads are a matter of right for you and me to park? I saw evidence of that today itself.. A lady honked a long time near my building because a bike had parked on the road where she usually parked...(justice i guess) but do think what will happen tomorrow- another such creeping method of hijacking place is done by hawkers - (and we of course on the one hand blame them and on the other encourage them by buying) who initially get in, (we keep quite) start selling and after some time it is a matter of right for them.. another way of using public spaces at our expenses - same thing .. high pollution, high traffic, more time wasted...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

on Corruption